Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Week 21


weekly update:
Hey everyone!! Super sorry I haven't been giving detailed updates! This past week was good!

Monday: Emailed and shopped and such and went to FHE. It was at our new institute building!! It was so cute because one of our investigators brought his mom with him, but his mom doesn't speak English, so one of our other investigators translated for her the whole time. It was soooo cute! 
Tuesday: So we were on exchanges today! I was with Sister Moore which just so happens to be Sister Wade's trainer! Crazy, huh!? We had a lesson today in which we planned to teach the Restoration, but we taught about how we have a loving Heavenly Father. It was actually a really neat experience! This person was having trouble with knowing her worth. She was comparing herself to others. I could PERFECTLY relate to her because I had a similar experience on my mission! I have been comparing myself to other missionaries telling myself, "Sister Sparks, you know you're not as outgoing as other missionaries. You don't have as good of relationships with the branch as other missionaries do. You're not a very good teacher. No one really thinks you're a good missionary." I KNOW Satan was tempting me to believe all of these things. I was able to talk to this investigator and tell her those feelings ARE NOT from Heavenly Father. Heavenly Father loves us dearly. Everything that an earthly father does, Heavenly Father does, and He does it PERFECTLY!! I know I have worth because I am a daughter of a King. We are all sons and daughters of an omniscient, omnipotent, PERFECT, exalted Being. He LOVES us PERFECTLY. He KNOWS us PERFECTLY. He UNDERSTANDS us PERFECTLY. Now, how does that make you feel? Pretty good, huh? Remember your worth. Remember that Heavenly Father has a perfect plan for each of His children to return to Him and become like Him! We have that divine nature in us!! 
Wednesday: We had district meeting, and it was SO good. We learned a lot about unity within a companionship. Sister Wade defined unity as, "the ability to have the Spirit work through us." I really liked that! I had never heard it defined like that, but it makes so much sense! This week Sister Wade and I have REALLY been focusing on our unity. Whenever something is wrong or off, we talk about it. It's funny because I've never been a great communicator, but Sister Wade literally forces me to talk hahah I love it. Since we've been doing that, our unity has honestly improved so much. It shows in the way we teach and testify together. We are able to have the Spirit with us, and people can feel that Spirit when we share our testimonies of the RESTORED GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST! It's true :) Oh! And we pulled weeds at a member's house, and it reminded me of home...except for the fact that I didn't complain about doing yard work this time hahah
Thursday: We had a few amazing lessons today! One of them was AWESOME because we were able to read 3 Nephi 11. I really really love verses 14-15: "Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel, and the god of the whole earth, and have been slain for the sins of the world. And it came to pass that the multitude went forth, and thrust their hands into his side, and did feel the prints of the nails in his hands and in his feet; and this they did do, going forth one by one until they had all gone forth, and did see with their eyes and did feel with their hands, and did know of a surety and did bear record, that it was he, of whom it was written by the prophets, that should come." Isn't that powerful? They went one.by.one until they know of a SURETY. We can all do this! Jesus Christ invites us to come unto him one by one in order for each of us to know of a surety that He lives, He loves us, and His Atonement is available for all. How blessed are we? So, we have this divine nature AND the ability to overcome the natural man!? Man, I don't know about you, but that seems like a pretty sweet setup!

Also, we taught our recent convert Li the Restoration again! This time, he pretty much taught us! It was REALLY REALLY cool to see how the Holy Ghost was active in his life. He was pulling out stuff we had never even mentioned!! He testified of the Restoration and knew the revelations given to Joseph Smith were true. Folks, moments like this is what makes being away from home SO WORTH IT!
ALSO, I cut my hair today hahah. I was literally just standing in front of the mirror, grabbed Sister Wade's craft scissors and chopped off my bangs hahah. I would send a picture, but my card reader isn't working! Next week!

Friday: Good day full of finding! We had dinner at a member from the family ward, and she showed us all her shoes! She literally had 75 pairs of high heels in her basement and about 50 more pair in her room...and that's JUST high heels. I was in heaven hahaha even though I have never been able to walk in heels. 
Saturday: We had a couple of amazing lessons today. We met with two young men who are honestly seeking for the truth. They have a sincere desire to know God is real and loves them. We were able to help them see and feel that they could come to know for themselves that He is there! One of them was able to come to church, and he felt the Spirit that was there. I'm so excited and grateful for the opportunities I have had so far to testify of the Restoration! I feel the Spirit bare witness to my spirit the truth of this church EVERY TIME I recite Joseph Smith's first vision. I'm so blessed! We had Chinese food for dinner. I'm surprisingly doing really well seeming how much Chinese food I've had to eat since I've been here (for those of you who haven't figured it out yet, I'm a picky eater). 
Sunday: What an awesome Sabbath day! We always joke that every day is Sunday when you're on a mission, but Sunday is special because we can partake of the Sacrament. How lucky are we to be able to basically be re-baptized every week as we partake of the Sacrament worthily? 
Today, Li received the Priesthood. It was such an amazing opportunity to be there listening to the blessing! I love it because he understands exactly what being a member of Christ's church means! He volunteered to help someone in the branch move this week. AH!! He understands how important serving others is! He always quotes the two most important commandments as, "Love God and love people." How sweet is that!? 
There were 5 total investigators at church! Oh man, this work is REAL! "The Standard of Truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear; till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say, 'The work is done.'" -Joseph Smith
Don't hate me if that quote wasn't exactly right ^^
It has been a great week, and I'm so excited to have another week to serve the Lord. Be happy, smile, and know God loves you!

Love, 

Sister Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment