Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Week 14

Hello! How was everyone's week?
I had another amazing week!
Monday: We went to Boalsburg which is the birthplace of Memorial Day I guess! It was super fun! I think I sent a picture of Sister Wade and in front of an American flag there :)
Tuesday: I emailed on Tuesday because the libraries were closed. We started talking to this guy from India, and after we taught him a little bit, we invited him to say a prayer. He didn't really understand I guess because when we huddled in a circle thing and folded our arms, there was no sound. Sister Wade and I looked up, and his eyes popped open, and he smiled as if he had just said the best prayer ever. We looked at him, and he said, "OH! Okay yes I will say it out loud." hahaha it was sooo funny.
Wednesday: I went to my first district meeting in State College today! My district leader is so awesome. I actually played the opening and closing songs on the piano, and HOLY COW the Lord blessed me for trying because I honestly had no idea where my hands were going. It was pretty cool :) In the meeting we talked about baptism and practiced inviting people to be baptized. It really isn't a scary thing when we understand why baptism is so important! I love Alma 7: 14-15: "Now I say unto you that ye must repent, and be born again; for the Spirit saith if ye are not born again ye cannot inherit the kingdom of heaven; therefore come and be baptized unto repentance, that ye may be washed from your sins, that ye may have faith on the Lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the world, who is mighty to save and to cleanse from all unrighteousness. Yea, I say unto you come and fear not, and lay aside every sin which easily doth beset you, which doth bind you down to destruction, yea, come and go forth, and show unto your God that ye are willing to repent of your sins and enter into a covenant with him to keep his commandments, and witness it unto him this day by going into the waters of baptism." 
Sister Wade and I took what we learned and applied to our investigators! We now have three investigators set with a baptismal date! It's so amazing to observe people who truly want to follow Jesus Christ. Baptism is such an amazing opportunity :) I'm so excited to help these children of God prepare to make sacred covenants with Him!
Do you remember that referral story I told you about last week? Well, we contacted her and set a time to meet. We went over at the scheduled time...she didn't answer...BUT a miracle happened!!! Right as we were about to leave, her neighbor opened the door to get her FedEx notification, so we started talking to her. It turns out she has been searching for ways to come closer to Christ! We not have an appointment set with her :) Heavenly Father has his hands in everything we do! It's amazing! If nothing else comes from that referral, we met someone who was truly prepared to hear the Gospel.
Thursday: A member of the branch took us to Panera, and holy junk...I'm going to open a Panera in Idaho or something because it is SO GOOD!! Not good for you, but still good :) 
We did service at a community center that does a soup kitchen sort of thing, but with TONS of food. We helped prepare the salads. It was so fun! We had an appointment set for 7:45 with our ward mission leader as the member present, but the guy never showed up! It was so sad, but our ward mission leader and Sister Wade and I were able to talk about the missionary work in the branch, and I shared my testimony of why I'm out here. I am in Pennsylvania serving the Lord because the Gospel of Jesus Christ changed my life. I want to bring everyone the Gospel! I know Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are all helping me do this. I can't even express how amazing this opportunity has been. It is a truly humbling experience, and I wouldn't trade it for anything!
Friday: The other sisters in our ward have a baptism this week!!!! Their investigator is getting baptized on Saturday, and I am so excited! It makes me so happy to see people who have read and prayed about the Book of Mormon and have come to know through the Holy Ghost that its words are true! I know this is Christ's original church restored on the earth day! I know we have a living prophet who continues to receive revelation! How blessed are we!?
Saturday: We pulled weeds for an older lady around the block, and we lost our phone under a pile of weeds. We went to a barbecue for a recent convert who was celebrating her one year mark of being a member!
Sunday: It was Fast Sunday today! We had three investigators come to church! We also had break the fast that same evening, and everyone had a great time! Our branch is so good at making new comers feel welcome! I love the branch! We had an awkward interaction on the bus...
us: "Hey, what's your name?"
lady: "Um, can we not talk? I know you're going to talk about God, and I'm not comfortable with that."
us: "Oh okay. That's totally fine, we can talk about something else :) Are you a student here?"
lady: "Um, can we still not talk because this is really awkward. I don't even know you, and you just sat down and started talking to me."
us: "Alright we're so sorry! We hope you're having a good day!"
I felt so bad we scared her!!! I had to chuckle though :)
Looking forward to another good week!!!

Love, 
Sister Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment